Frederick, MD asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Does a motion need to be filed in order to stop child support in TN once the child graduates from High School?

Child turned 18 April 1, 2018 and graduated high school May/June of 2018. I continued paying child support until October of 2018 when I realized the rules are when they graduate high school and not after they turn 19. At least I hope this is correct.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Leonard Robert Grefseng

  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Unless you owe an arrearage ( or old past due child support) you should stop paying immediately. Child support ends when the child turns 18 , or graduates, whichever event is last to occur. You only need to file a motion if there is a wage assignment or garnishment in effect, or your employer refuses to stop withholding the funds. The bad news is, if you have overpaid, it's likely that you will not be able to recover the excess. Consult an experienced family law attorney for advice on your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.