Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: I had a dui 4yrs ago. I been a permanent resident for 9 yrs and my green card will expire in December 2019.

Can I apply for citizenship? Or do I have to wait for 5 yrs after my dui. If I have to wait longer, do I have to renew green card and the apply for citizenship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: You can apply but run the risk of being denied based on lack of good moral character because of the DUI conviction (assuming you were convicted/pleaded guilty). I advise waiting, not just 5 years from the incident date, but 5 years from the date you satisfied all conditions in the judgment. So it you were put on probation for a year, you would need to wait 5 years from the date you completed probation before submitting the naturalization application to be outside the 5-year GMC period.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.