San Antonio, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My case was closed and reopened under a different case number and I was issued a warrant for my arrest

I was 17 years old when I sent threatening twxt messages to a fellow student, and was asked to turn myself in. I turned 18 on january 17 and in april of 2018 I received a warrant for my arrest in the mail, and was confused as to why as I had kept up with bail and reporting to my pretrial services officer. I spoke with my attorney and he was able to inform me that my case was closed and reopened under a different case number, and that it was done in order to be dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor court, however he was unsure. Presently, I am trying to join the military and my legal status is preventing me from qualifying. I am looking for advice on how I can clear my warrant cleared and court date expedited. Since I was a minor and nobody was physically harmed during the incident I am hoping I can get my charges dropped or expunged. I have already been to pretrial (January 2018) however we only discussed when I would get off of house arrest.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Ask your attorney if it is possible that the judge will consider replacing the warrant with a summons so you don't have to surrender on the warrant. Also ask if the judge will consider granting a personal bond so you don't have to post cash bail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.