Jeffersonville, IN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: How do I get parental rights back?

I was arrested 4/17 with drug charges in Shelby county KY. My children weren't home at the time and I was released before they were to be home. My husband (separated since 5/2013) never brought them home and picked them up from school so the bus wouldn't bring them home. I was evicted in 5/2017. Court proceedings were in Henry county Kentucky. The judge granted him temporary custody for a year with me having supervised visitation and a drug assessment (performed at Franklin county probation in 17). The year of custody for him ended 4/18. I wasnt given a lawyer and because the case ended I cannot be given one or be put on the docket to try and recieve one. It was listed under a domestic violence dispute between me and the father (I assume because it began with me calling 911 for my upstairs neighbor who was being abused at the time) and nothing was said about the custody of my children (they weren't home at the time of arrest so CPS wasn't called). Neither county can give me advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You will have to file a motion for return of the children in the Henry County case where the judge originally gave your husband custody for one year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.