Evans, GA asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Federal Crimes for Georgia

Q: If a parent and their 16-year-old child fled the U.S. to a different country, would that parent be prosecuted?

Additionally, if that 16-year-old was under custody of the other parent, would the first parent be prosecuted at any time they stepped back onto U.S. soil? Or would they be a criminal for the rest of their life?

2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have asked a specific answer for a complicated question. This cannot be answered with so little information. This depends on the circumstances and what the current custody order states. You should consult with an experienced family law attorney in order to get specific advice.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleague, there are details that we would need to know in order to provide you with direction. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of your case in detail and provide you with options. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.