Bossier City, LA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: I have soul custody of my 4 children. I want to let the oldest one who is 15 go live with his mother.

I agreed to let him go live with his mother. When she tried to register him in school in the district she is in they told her he couldn't go to school there because I have soul custody. I want to give her 1/2 custody or custody of him alone. He was already living with her but she moved and this school says she has to have partial custody. The school she had him in before she moved didn't say that. And when he moved back over here because he couldn't go to school where she is living now, they didn't even ask me for any custody papers. I just enrolled him. He can't go live with his mom because the school won't let him go there. I didn't want to go through some court trial over all my kids because I want to let one kid go. Perhaps there is a paper I can sign letting the school know I agreed to let him live with his mother without having to go through a custody dispute over ALL my kids.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Douglas Lee Bryan

  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can file to voluntarily grant her joint custody of him without going to court. An attorney usually can handle this for you without going to court fairly inexpensively. Give me a call and I'll be happy to discuss the procedure and costs associated with this.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Attorney or mediator can do a Consent Judgment for you. You don't have to go to court. School Board will accept that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.