Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I was misrepresented in 2001. Can I get a felony reduction to a misdemeanor after 20 years?

I was convicted of a felony grand larceny back in 2001 after I violated my probation in 1996 and on for 6 years. I came back and turn myself in to show the court that I had not gotten into any trouble and wanted to get this behind me. My attorney did not take any of the information given to him by me or my father and went along on the basis of the district attorney that told him no deal would be made because I was brought in Kicking and Screaming from a other state. That was not true I have a potatoes from probation officers parole officer and a judge showing that I turned myself and willfully and was taking responsibility however was misrepresented by my attorney and him not doing any work whatsoever to try to reduce my sentencing to a misdemeanor and I was stuck with the five-year sentence for sigh fulfilled with no problems whatsoever and now after all this time and seeking employment with the state or government I was informed that I must have this reduced to a misdemeanor.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The time to appeal is long past but you might try for a full executive pardon from the Governor of Texas.

The application form can be downloaded at this URL:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.