Buford, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: How does a 72 hour advance notice work? Is it just for emergency or use only occionsally? Bc sometimes I can’t pick up

My 16 year old on the my visitation day due to my work schedule and the ex is saying The 72 hour advance notice does not apply its only there to use for emergencies or to be used once in awhile. So she is telling I need to pick up my child on my visitation day, it’s my responsibility and not to just pick him up when it’s convient for me. but it’s not even like that I can’t loose my job if I loose my job I can’t take care of myself and her child support will be cut if I loose my job but she just doesn’t care and sometimes I can’t pick him up bc if my hours at work. What to do? Can I keep sending an 72 hours advance notice ? Our paper work says to give a 72 hour notice if I can’t pick up my child and I’ve done that but now ex is saying I’m abusing it...I work 8am-6pm Monday- Friday I can’t just change my work schudele with out a plenty which is getting fired....

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should pick your child up on your visitation day. It's not fair to her that you repeatedly forgo your parenting time. Adjust your work schedule or make child care arrangements.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleague, you should adjust your work schedule so that you can meet the visitation day/time. You could also consult with an attorney who can review the facts in detail and let you know if you could file for a modification to the order. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.