Grand Prairie, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: What rights do grandparents have in Louisiana due to us living with them for four years and myhaving criminal history?

I am a single mother living with my parents for the last 4 years... I recently was incarcerated for eight months and have a history of drug use. My parents insist on making the rules for my son and while I understand that I was absent for 8 months I am still his mother. His father also feels like he's not allowed to do things with his son because of parents when he is sober and been in a program for three years. So he and I are trying to come to an agreement as far as custody Arrangements without going through the court system and hiring lawyers and without fighting. He and I are on the same page. I just need some advice on how to go about this in Louisiana and what can my parents possibly do to stop us from doing this. I am the custodial parent and my baby's father is of course the non-custodial parent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you and the father agree on every5hing, a mediator can draft the paperwork to effectuate what you want. However, your parents can always file for custody asserting that custody for neither if you is in the best interests of the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.