Asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I appeal on a family case and if so how?

Judge ruled that Dad can claim child every year bc he pays over 51% and is current. Tried to explain that the only reason he is paying over the 51% is bc the last time Chris took me for a decrease in child support I am paying close to 1000$ for child care & when asked how many days out the week does he get him he said no judge said the financial burned all lies on the mother but the judge who ruled on claiming child literally didn't care and wouldn't listen. Chris doesn't mis work when Caleb is sick, never has to find a sitter, bowls 4x a week, was able to meet someone and marry. I lost my apartment bc I finacially couldn't pay all bills and child care even with child support, I work all the time and if I'm not working I have my son I don't have the luxury of having a moment to myself bc I can't afford it and I don't understand how none of that matters. How is it that you can make a ruling under TWO conditions and not listen to any other parts?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can appeal on custody/child support cases if your attorney files a notice of intent to appeal w/in 30 days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.