Birmingham, AL asked in Bankruptcy for Alabama

Q: Can I file for bankruptcy and what is the first step?

We just moved to AL from WA State. Our truck, with all of our belongings broke down the day we had to leave. We were told that it could not be repaired by the dealership because the part needed was no longer in production. I could not find a used part anywhere. Eventually we had to leave everything behind.

We now have no car, and have maxed out several of our credit cards to by clothes and furniture. I can’t sell the car because we still owe $5000 on it and we can’t get the title.

I’ve had a lot of health issues with no insurance that’s built up a lot of debt too. I get calls three times a day from debt collectors and just don’t know what to do. We’ve already consolidated our debt with a loan last year and on top of that we now have more credit card debt because of this move.

My wife works a full time job, I work from home as a freelancer but don’t make enough.

Will filing for bankruptcy help with this mess? And what’s the first think I need to do to get started?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: A bankruptcy filing may be the answer. Our office would provide a free consultation as well as a payment plan for legal fees and costs. The filing of the bankruptcy case puts a Stay ( stop) Order on all of your creditors. All calls, legal actions, wage garnishments, bank attachments etc must stop the moment you file the case ( the “automatic stay” order)

If you are in Southern Alabama ( Mobile, Baldwin, Monroe, Washington, Conecuh, Escambia or Choctaw County, we can help.

Ryan Legal Services Inc

Tel: 251-431-6012 (24/7 Bankruptcy Helpline. Call or text)

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: It sounds like you are eligible but you should contact a competent bankruptcy practitioner who can guide you through the ins and outs. Bankruptcy could possibly be the solution to your problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.