Guthrie, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: I am wanting to get a divorce from my husband after committing adultery.

When I told him about everything and asked for a divorce we agreed to just take our own belongings. Now he's telling people he wants to press charges on me for adultery and take everything I own. I want to know if he could since he doesn't have any proof except for my word. Also if he doesn't decide to do that would we still file under at fault or no contest since we just want our own possessions? We don't have children or anything with both our names on it, so it is clear who owns what.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Doak Willis

  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: District attorneys rarely if ever file charges against folks for adultery in Oklahoma. You should hire an attorney and have him/her file a petition for dissolution. Your case appears to be a simple matter and a good attorney can guide you through the process thus easing your concerns about your past acts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.