Tallahassee, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Is it possible to have divorce papers drawn up without going to court?

I want to file for a divorce from my husband of 4 years. We have a 6 year old daughter, no assets or property together. I just want out. No big drawn out battle. Not seeking for sole custody just joint custody.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rand Scott Lieber

  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Filing with the court is what makes it legal and final. You can enter into all of the necessary agreements and complete the forms prior to filing with the court. Your local clerk may have a "self help" packet of forms or they are all available for free online. Just google florida family forms and choose the flcourts website.

Michael Ferrin

  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is possible that you would be able to have all the paperwork signed and filed with the courts and the order submitted without you having to actually attend a hearing. It depends on the county and making sure all the necessary paperwork is completed from both parties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.