Cut Off, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can a judge terminate your parental rights if you're incarcerated?

My brother is incarcerated for robbing a hair salon by knife point. He has 2 1/2 years left. His ex girlfriend has signed over her parental rights of their son to one of her family members and they, welfare or a social worker I'm assuming, is saying the judge can make him sign over his rights before even having a chance to prove he is Rehabilitated and can raise his son. Can they do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: He doesn't sign over his rights. His rights can be terminated without his consent if he has no contact with his child and fails to support his child for 6 months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.