Arlington, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: If I’m on parole and was arrested, but out on bond, how long does the court have to indict me in Texas? ?

Out on parole; was arrested in one county for a misdemeanor and bonded out and the following month was arrested for class a misdemeanor and 1st degree felony and bonded out. Was picked up Due to parole violation on first misdemeanor charge. Went to court took care of that On november 30, got time served. However. I’m still sitting in jail because I’m on parole and the pending charges in other county. The other county isn’t going to come get me and they said there’s no court date set yet and my fine could sit there for 6 months to 3 yrs before they do anything because they have note important cases. Basically, I’m just sitting here because that county won’t do anything and the ostole board says they don’t do anything until the new charges are taken care of. Do they really have that amount of time? Is there a way to get that county to speed up? Someone please help me with info. I made a mistake, but I realize it now and want to Get my life straight. (Written by gf of parolee)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: He should consult his criminal defense attorney. Maybe he hopes to get closer to 1 year and then move for a Speedy Trial. Or maybe there is an assumption that he will be ultimately be convicted, but that time served in jail will count toward his time in the pen but be easier time to do. Trying to force indictment by motioning for an examining trial is not always the best idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.