Lawrenceburg, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Is there a way to give up my parental rights without having to involve the other parent?

I told my ex that I wanted to give up my rights after she mentioned me doing so herself and she responds with a lawyer serving me with child support that I can't afford. If I pay child support it's going to make my family lose everything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: No, Tennessee law requires parents to support their children. The only way to escape that obligation is to have another person assume it - by adopting the child. An adoption will terminate the parental relationship and establish a new parental relationship. The other parent will have to consent to the adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.