Champaign, IL asked in Domestic Violence for Illinois

Q: I am seeking legal council for an order of protection.

I am the petitioner for an order of protection. I had court today 2-15-19. The respondent was granted a extention so they could get legal representation. The respondent was also granted an order of protection against me until March 4th. That is the next court date. I am in Champaign County. Where can I find legal representation for this matter?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

William Wolf

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There are plenty of lawyers who do this kind of work. Technically, this is not a criminal case, but lots of criminal defense lawyers engage in this kind of work...... in part because these orders are often sought privately during a criminal investigation or a violation of these kinds of orders brings someone a criminal case.

Hope this helps. I would look for several lawyers that offer free consultations. I would ask for meetings and then hire the lawyer you think is the best fit for you.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Juan Ooink

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Use the Find a Lawyer tab on this website to find an attorney to assist you with this matter. The sooner you hire an attorney the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.