Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I've messed up my parole and I have 6 months left....if I'm not caught within this time...and I turn myself in after the

Date my parole would have been over...would it be considered out running my parole? A couple of weeks in county then let go? Or does the time start where u left off?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If a parolee could really just stop reporting and run out the clock, why would anyone ever report?

When you get caught or turn yourself in, you will spend some time in county waiting for a parole revocation hearing. If you are revoked at the hearing then you'll probably be headed to prison WITHOUT ANY CREDIT for the time since the blue warrant issued, and maybe some new charges on top of that. The longer you wait to deal with it, the greater the chance you'll be revoked. Life is hard enough without actively sabotaging yourself.

It sounds like you maybe got some bad advice from a criminal or someone on the internet. You should have a PRIVATE consultation with a local criminal defense attorney and relying on rumors and half-truths.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.