Dekalb, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Would we end up going to jail?

Can I end up going to jail?

I recently got into a fight with 14 year old girl and I am 18 the girl had came to my house with a bunch of other girls knocking on my door wanting to fight so I called my friend who is also 18 me and the girl started fighting but my friend ended up jumping into the fight they started fighting and she (my friend) hit her (the 14 yr old) in the face with rocks she put in a sock

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

James G. Dimeas

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Schaumburg, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It sounds like you are charged with a Battery. If you are charged with a Battery you are looking at a maximum punishment of up to one year in jail. Without knowing more about the case and about you and your background, all I can tell you is that since you are facing a possible jail sentence, you will need the services of a lawyer to represent you in Court.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Juan Ooink

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If you have been charged with an offense, you should hire an attorney right away to assist you. The sooner you hire an attorney the better.

William Wolf

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. You could go to jail.

I would see a lawyer right away if you're concerned about getting arrested. Many criminal defense lawyers offer free consultations so you can talk privately and freely and get a sense about cost so you can then hire the lawyer that you believe to be the best fit for you.

You don't want to wait to make your choice until after you're arrested.

If you get arrested before picking a lawyer, other than telling them truthfully your name and remaining calm, tell them in response to any other question that you want to invoke your right to remain silent and that you want to have a lawyer present during any questioning. That should be your response to every question from law enforcement except "What's your name?"

Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.