Jourdanton, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can I file charges against boyfriend stole my debit and took money multiple times totaling 2800?

I am 19, living with my parents. I gave him my pin# to pump and pay the gas. I didnt know that over the course of 4 months he was daily taking money out. i had a large sum from financial aid refund and i dont check my bank balance. My mom saw it and told me. If I file charges against him, will the bank refund my money? I read online that since I gave him my pin and since i had a relationship with him and since its been 4 months with recurring withdrawals that the bank would refuse.

My mom contacted his parents and told them what happened. we threatened to notify police. they say they are willing to give us the money he stole if we leave the police out of it. we are meeting tomorrow so they can give us the 2800.

Should we write on a piece of paper and each sign it saying that they are giving us this money to pay for the money he stole and we agree to not press charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Grant St Julian III

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you wish to file criminal charges, contact the police and file an incident report. If you wish to resolve the matter through your boyfriend's parents, you may do so, but I suggest you do not try to tie one avenue with the other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.