Asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: My mother is hospitalized and medically incapacitated. Can I establish a conservatorship/guardianship on here behalf?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Yes. It is called an interdiction and is still a civil suit. But, if you can provide medical evidence/affidavits as to condition and all of the heirs - spouse and children are in agreement, it can make the process much more smooth, especially for your mom, who will be the Defendant. The court will ultimately make a decision on whether to strip your mother of her rights to contract and make decisions for herself. The court does not take that decision lightly and will want to not only review the medical evidence, but question the heirs, and also question/see the Defendant, even if the Defendant is hospitalized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.