La Vernia, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Tx criminal procedure Sec 1 Art. 12.02 on misdemeanors does indictment to be presented within 2 years still apply?

June 2014 ticketed for expired buyers tag/failure to report address change. Didnt go to court so in july 2014 got failure to appear and violate promise to appear. My DL expires soon and I get a notice saying DL will not be renewed. Are the warrants still valid and none of what im charged with is listed as offences reported to DPS so why no dl renewal

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Grant St Julian III

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The charging instrument for misdemeanor cases (the information/complaint) must be filed with the court within 2 years from the date of the alleged offense. Once the case is filed and is a warrant is subsequently issued, the case can remain pending indefinitely. Talk with an attorney in the county where the warrants are pending to see what can be done about posting a bond. Good luck.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The statute of limitations will only help you if they failed to file the formal charging document. For a class C the formal charges could technically be in the form of an indictment, but that almost never happens. Class C cases are much more likely to be charged by Complaint or Information.

NOTE: The words "Complaint" and "Information" in this context do NOT mean the same thing as you would expect in everyday language. Those are the names of formal charging documents.

Either hire a traffic ticket attorney to deal with fighting the cases or, if you don't want to fight, contact the court and find out if you can pay the ticket online or over the phone. It is probably best to call an attorney since just entering a guilty plea can lead to other consequences for your drivers license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.