Lady Lake, FL asked in Tax Law for Florida

Q: Do I have to pay taxes if I invest the money earned in a rental property into my primary residence?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Yes, money earned through rents or through the sale of the property are both taxable and putting that money into a private residence is not an exemption.

Greg Freeze
Greg Freeze

A: Federal taxes are a funny thing, done in two steps. Step one, money earned is income.

Step two, putting that money earned into your primary residence is not an exemption.

For those planning in advance, the 1031 Exchange is the magic ticket to avoid a taxable event when selling rental property. I couldn't tell if your "money earned" was from rent or from selling, but either way, in step one, it's income.

So, after these two steps, you get taxes.

"Tis impossible to be sure of any thing but Death and Taxes." Christopher Bullock, The Cobler of Preston (1716).

Disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.