Washington, DC asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: my fiance is illegal in France. Will he need to go back to his country for me to file a K1 visa?Im a us citizen

I am a us citizen, we have met several times. We want to get married soon so we can be together but I am not sure that it is possible since he is illegal. He cannot go back to his country because it is not safe. He has a valid passport. Is it possible to file a k1/get married in France so he can join me here?Will the embassy need him to go bck to his country?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: You have more issues than just what country he would interview in. When someone violates the immigration laws of another country, our government expects that they will do the same here. Even if you are qualified in every way, his overstay in France may prevent you from getting any type of visa, whether it be a K1 or based on marriage. You should definitely contact an experienced immigration attorney to help you with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.