Asked in Immigration Law

Q: My Employment authorization + advance parole card is valid for 12 months. How long can I stay outside the US at a time?

I want to ensure that I do not compromise my Green card application

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Deron Edward Smallcomb

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: This answer is very dependent as to whether you entered the K1 fiance visa or another type of visa. We always recommend to our clients not to use advanced parole except in dire emergencies. If you entered on another type of non-immigrant visa, such as a visitor visa, and are adjusting status based on marriage, you take a huge risk by leaving the country even for emergencies. You should definitely contact an experienced immigration for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.