Newburgh, IN asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: I struggle with severe family issues yet CPS dont do anything on lack of evidence. I am 17 (18 in Oct) can I move out?

I'm the oldest of 4. Me and the second oldest have same dad but the other 2 have different dads. We've had issues growing up from abusive homes to moving from evictions. I started being a suicidal and depressed mess with severe anxiety at a very young age. Child services never do anything. My mother causes issues with everyone and moves all the time due to it. She threatens me about not being able to see my siblings if I ever move out tho I dont thing she legally can do that unless I pose a threat but I dont know. She is like 'do whatever, i dont care- slit your wrist, do drugs but it only takes once to kill you, etc'. She doesnt take me to the doctor or anything unless nessicary. Shes just not a good person and is toxic. My friends family takes care of me and buys me shoes, buy me school supplies, etc. I'm turning 18 in October but stuffs getting bad once again in my household and I really can't handle it much anymore. Am I legally able to move out without legal issues?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Consult with a family law attorney to discuss your options, including emancipation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.