Hackettstown, NJ asked in Business Law for New Jersey

Q: Hello. I've spoken to a lawyer already but I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the correct decisions.

My business is behind on tax payments/filing. I currently have an accountant organizing everything for me so that I can get back on track. My lawyer wants to send a DVD to the IRS. My question: Is a disclosure to the IRS necessary if I'm less than a year and a half behind? Would it be a bad idea to just have the accountant figure out how much I owe and then file the appropriate forms? Also, the lawyer I spoke with claims that I may owe around a million dollars in taxes and penalties, but that he could get it down to around $80k. However, my accountant hadn't even finished getting my financial records in order. Does $80k from a million seem possible or could it be that the lawyer is exaggerating numbers to get me to pay more?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Leonard R. Boyer

  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Do you seriously believe if you owed the IRS a Million dollars, that anyone is going to be able to get that debt reduced to just $80,000? Is your attorney admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court? What kind of credentials does your attorney have? On what basis does your attorney believe that to be true? To be able to effectively deal with a dispute with the IRS, and account has to have a strong tax background and needs to be an enrolled agent. I have not reviewed your information in detail, but you have written more than enough to raise serious questions. What DVD does your so-called attorney want to send to the IRS? What information is the attorney suggesting be disclosed?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.