Fair Oaks, CA asked in Probate for California

Q: How do I handle charged off and old debt. I am the administrator of my brothers intestate Estate.

The debt was consolidated but he stopped paying on them in September of 2018. Until I sell property there is no money. I’m unsure of how much there will be left over. It is 4 credit cards 2 have been charged off. I’m looking for

Card numbers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Richard Samuel Price

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As the administrator, you are required to give notice to the creditors. You can look through the decedent's mail to find any creditors. If the creditors file a creditor's claim, then you must either reject, accept, or partially accept the creditor's claim. You can wait for a court order of final distribution before paying most debts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.