Belmont, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Is it okay to change jobs while I file for I-90?

I have been approved for GC but never received it in the mail. I was in between addresses when they sent me the card and USPS was unable to deliver the card to me. I have updated my address and I have started several service requests which all ended in USCIS saying they will be resending my card back to me as a courtesy but 8 months have passed with no card on sight. Several phone calls to the call center at USCIS didn't help either. They have said to wait and try again. So I have decided to file an I-90 and get my passport stamped for travel.

Issue is, I'm in the process of interviewing with another company which will most likely end up in a job offer very soon. Since I was approved for green card although I don't have it physically, can I switch jobs now? Would that be a problem when I go for biometrics / interview or whatever's required during the I-90 and stamp processing?

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: If you application for permanent residence has been approved, you are legal to work but will not have anything to prove this to a potential employer. If the permanent residency was gained through adjustment of status, you should have received temporary employment authorization that would allow you to work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.