Akron, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Kentucky

Q: What are my rights and what steps do I need to take to approach this fragile situation at hand logically?

A very loosely written Divorce/custody/visitation/child support order from 10 years ago is still in place. I'm a recovering alcoholic with 3.5 years sober who at a certain point in my active alcoholism disappeared from my child's life for 5 years. No new custody/visitation orders or abandonment charges filed during that time. I since have gotten and remained sober and continue to make every attempt to be in my son's life. My ex and I attempted to reconcile recently without success and he continues to alienate me from my child every chance he gets. During our reconciliation he cancelled the existing child support order and has recently filed to revisit the matter in domestic relations court. I have no problem paying child support. However, I do have an issue with the alienation, lack of any/all agreement to a middle ground solution and being persecuted for a past I cannot change. I realize I did wrong but am not being given a chance to do right for my child. How do I handle this?

1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Make s motion to modify the agreement and for the court to appoint a therapist to address the Patental Alienation Syndrome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.