Gretna, LA asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Can my son be around Ex’s new girlfriend if I have a restraining order against her?

My Ex and I have a 6 year old, no custody agreement. I have been his primary care taker for the past 5 years in Jefferson Parish, he resides in Terrebonne parish. My husband and I have my son full time (school, sports, medical, everything) Biological dad gets him every other weekend (if it’s convienent). His new GF is threatening me via text messages and FB over child support so I will be getting a restraining order. Do I have to let my son go with dad if GF is around? I feel the hate she has for me may be taken out on my son. Please advise. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can't get a restraining order for threatening not to pay child support. You can get contempt for failure to pay child support. You can get a restraining order for a threat of physical violence. Father is allowed to bring anyone around his son that he sees fit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.