Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I want to gain full custody of my son, we have split custody right now. I am worried that his father is using drugs.

I want to know how to go about this and if i can do a welfare check and get a lawyer to gain full custody. I do not have the funds to pay for a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you already have a time-sharing schedule by court order, then you will need to petition the court for a modification and show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since entry of the last order. For those who cannot afford a lawyer, a good option may be your local Legal Aid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.