Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can child custody be changed if it’s been the same for a few years and isn’t on paper yet, just verbal?

Going through a divorce, and we currently do one week on and one week off. Our child is 4, is there a way to change the custody when we get to court or will it pretty much stay the same? I do have concerns when it comes to my child and the other parent and their lack of parenting. I am not sure if it will be enough but I just need something to go off of..

I want this divorce over with, it keeps getting dragged out I can not afford an attorney and I don’t know any other way to speed it up.

1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: One of the factors the court must consider to determine the "best interest" of the child under section 61.13, Florida Statutes is the length of time the child has been in a stable environment and desire of maintaining continuity. The longer this schedule is in place and the child is doing well, the stronger the argument is that this schedule is likely in child's best interest.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.