Rancho Cucamonga, CA asked in Family Law and Probate for California

Q: How do I register an out of hospital birth in California for my 19 month old?

In 2017, I was a resident of TX before relocating to CA. I gave birth August 2017. I received all my prenatal care in Texas. There was no midwife or doula present but my husband, his brother, my mother in law and her parents were present for the birth. Since my child is over a year, I know I have to petition California's Superior Court, but I'm not sure of all the necessary paperwork needed to get the process started

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You would file a petition to establish birth with the local probate court. After a court hearing, you should get an order establishing the birth. Then you must file the order with the Department of Health Services. You may have to get an attorney to draft it for you. Contact a local attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.