Detroit, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: If there is now a felony non support bench warrant out from the attorney general what happens to the original FOC case

10,500 dollars in arrears, I filed for felony non support it was granted, two counts of non support with a bench warrant out for arrest las t week, but the FOC has a date for a show cause hearing, in May which case has precedence now, the foc hasn’t done anything as far as making him make any payments income withholding doesn’t work bench warrants don’t work all my child’s father does is wait until the FOC gives him a bench warrant which he recently had one March 6th then he comes in the FOC pay a small amount and get another hearing with a referee

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Child support enforcement is almost exclusively in the Friend of the Court's hands. In other words, you do not get to determine the "how" and "when" things happen. Each Friend of the Court office has internal policies regarding enforcement actions.

Rest assured, the arrearages won't go away, nor will the ongoing support obligation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.