Lake Charles, LA asked in Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: How do I File taxes when I live in texas and my wife lives in louisiana where I come home to on the weekends

I want to change my address to texas. How would I file my federal and state taxes taking Louisiana residency laws in consideration

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Put your TX address on your Federal return.

Get a TX driver's license.

Intend to reside in TX indefinitely.

For any LA source income you would need to file a non-resident return.

You'll have to file a part year resident return for the year you move away from LA to TX.

Spend less than 6 months out of the year in LA.

If you don't have any income produced in LA and you don't reside in the state then you don't have to file a return.

The state may disagree with your determination that you reside in TX if you have too many contacts with the state such as a LA drivers license, oen real property, own a LA business, spend 6 or more months in the state, etc....

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.