Dearborn, MI asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Michigan

Q: How can I file a lawsuit against police for racial profiling and defamation of reputation?

Police do discrimination and racial profiling against me. They defame my reputation everywhere. I want to file a lawsuit against police for violating my constitutional and civil rights, and to bring my witnesses to the court to testify under the oath.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Perhaps your first stop should be to the police department to make a formal complaint with that department's internal affairs. Your next stop could be to a civil rights attorney. Successful claims show a pattern of discrimination and profiling, and without substantial evidence of that, an attorney is unlikely to take your case, and the case will never make it to a courtroom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.