Rochester, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: What is my next step when my ex wife did not meet the deadline of finalizing a mortgage.

my ex wife had 90 days from Dec. 20, 2018 to finalize a mortgage for the home that is in my name, both deed and mortgage. I did a quitclaim deed that is in escrow, but the 90 days is past.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can make a motion for contempt if that requirement was in the judgment of divorce or you can move to enforce the agreement. You may also be able to request counsel fees for having had to make the motion. As the most drastic remedy, it sounds like to can ask the court to have the house sold.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.