Lees Summit, MO asked in Tax Law for Kansas

Q: An adult family member who is disabled and on public assistance has not filed taxes in over five years. Problem?

She is married still but separated, and she has three dependent children and hasn't had a job for all that time. The husband is working but makes less than $25K a year and lives with his mom in a different city. We would like to know if she's going to be in trouble for not filing taxes for the last five years. Some family members say she didn't have to because she had no income. I am doubting that.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Just because someone claims to have no income that does not mean they do not have to file a tax return. In this bizarre situation, it is very doubtful that a disabled mother of three who has not had a job for several years will have to pay any income tax. However, since she was married (and apparently still is), she may have filed a (joint?) tax return many years ago--before she stopped working--which if so, means the IRS may have noticed the absence of returns filed by her. Because the IRS can impose a penalty on anyone who has not filed a tax return, the safest route to take is to file a return that reports no income except whatever state or federal aid they receive. Consider hiring an accountant or a CPA to do the first return, and then use some cheap software and do it yourself after that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.