Springfield, MO asked in Contracts for Missouri

Q: I am buying a house and just found out their is someone their paying rent no contract. The owner gave him 30 days

But now he does not want to move till June. I told them he must be out at closing. What can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If proper notice of termination was given and the tenant holds over possession, then the owner may file an unlawful detainer case. Until you are the owner, you have no right to file the lawsuit unless you get the lease rights assigned to you.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: To reiterate: This is not your problem; it is the OWNER'S problem.

Advice: Stay out of it. Unless the owner get's rid of the holdover tenant (by giving them 30 days notice and then evicting them if they don't leave), the owner is in breach of the real estate sales contract made between the owner and you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.