Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: Can a 16 year old almost 17 move out of their parents home legally? Is the parent responsible for any trouble they cause

I have a 16 year old who turns 17 this summer. She is one of my strong willed children and is currently using our home on a come and go basis. I have suspected and proved some wax using extracted from marijuana. She turned her life around from 14 and got caught up in school and now she's almost 17 and it seems out of no where she is acting out again, its really sad she's so smart and talented. I've been down this road with her older sister and her when they were 13 and 14. I don't know what to do. It causes me anxiety and I get scared to think what could happen. I have other small children and I also have to protect them form any out burst she may have. I've seen different opinions online and wanted to see if I could get better information here.

1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There is no legal method of allowing your daughter to move out on her own. However, many children that age do so and DHS is reluctant to get involved. As for you being liable for trouble she may cause, there is that possibility that you could indeed be held liable for her tortious actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.