San Antonio, TX asked in Child Support for Texas

Q: Do I have to break up with my girlfriend which is my baby mother if we decide to put child support?

If I'm 15 years old and I have a girlfriend that is also 15 years old and we had a baby and each both of us live with our parents and my girlfriend stays with the baby, and she is now 4 months and my girlfriend wants me to give her money for baby to take car eof her and we put child support and my question is that if we put child support does it mean we have to break up because of the child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Whether you are a couple or not has nothing to do with supporting your child. If you are old enough to have a child, then you are old enough to take care of it. “Child support” is a legal term that describes a financial responsibility ordered by a court of Law to help with the expenses associated with the responsibility of parenthood.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.