Madison, WI asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: I received a domiciliary letter as personal rep for my brother's estate. What else is needed to list and sell the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If you have received Domiciliary Letters from the Court and have been appointed as Personal Representative for your brother's Estate, then you now have authority under state law to act on behalf of the Estate. This means you can now go about listing the home for sale, and or hiring a realtor as necessary, and entering into other contracts on behalf of the Estate. If the Will allows you to sell the home, then you can sell the home, and distribute the assets from the sale according to the plan of administration laid out in the Will. All of this should be done under the purview of the probate court. I suggest that you consult with a qualified probate lawyer to guide you through the forms and deadlines involved in this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.