Montgomery, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: My child is turning 18 and lives in Pennsylvania. I will be filing for termination of support soon....

My child lives with her aunt and will not be graduating high school when she turns 18. I believe she quit school. What reasons could the court order continuation of support past the age of 18 in PA? My child was diagnosed as being bi-polar and has behavioral problems due to this. Would that be considered a reason for the court continuing the support order even though she is turning 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You would have to provide proof that she is not in school. The parent would have to file request for special needs extension of child support if requesting and prove if there are special needs of child requiring extra financial needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.