Cerritos, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: What’s the best way to handle situation

Hi my ex girlfriend texted me stating she went to the Los Angeles county courts to start the process of establishing paternity a couple weeks ago. My issue is I’m currently out of the state for a new job which requires us to complete the training I’m at which is about a month long or forfit the position and pay back for part of the training and cost of the security clearance investigation. I am trying to figure out how I can respond to the summons if out of state, I have a family member checking my mail daily. And I do have proof I am out of town from start date to when I will get back. This is california and Los Angeles based btw

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you retain an attorney, the attorney can respond to the petition on your behalf.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.