Newark, NJ asked in Probate for New Jersey

Q: What can I do if someone is the executor and run off with the money and don't pay any bills?

My sister's friend didn't pay for taxes, last bill, or property taxes. She is no where to be found. I have sent certified notifications to her last know address with no response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If an executor does not pay bills that are owed by the estate and then steals money from the estate, a beneficiary of the estate can bring an action in court against the executor. If an executor fails to act under his duties and obligations to the estate, the beneficiary should seek to have the executor removed and ask the court to appoint somebody else as the executor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.