Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Alabama

Q: How do I file for divorce with no child support owed, no visitation given, and minimal rights without a lawyer?

The ex will agree. He is already an absent father. We have been separated for 7 years. The child is 8. He is only now consenting to divorce because he wants to get remarried. I want nothing from him but a divorce as well. The child does not have a relationship with his father, due to his absence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello, there is no way to file for an uncontested divorce without an attorney. You also cannot waive child support obligations without an extremely good reason. All three child support forms are mandatory, not optional, and must be filed with the divorce filings. You should have a consultation with an attorney in your area to discuss the entirety of your specific issue. You may also want to ask about terminating his parental rights, but again, that is a question for you to ask in a consultation with some who has better knowledge of all the facts. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.