Asked in Tax Law for South Carolina

Q: only way for me to have access to taxes paid to my husband that should rightfully be split betus is to file for div?

My husband is incarcerated and was tje sole provider for tax yr 2018. He filed head of household and claimed our 4 children but dodnt put me on the taxes at all so he could keep the money..what do i do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: There probably are many good reasons for you to consider filing for divorce--but doing it just to try to get 50% of his tax refund is not one of them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.