Wynnewood, PA asked in Foreclosure for Pennsylvania

Q: What can I do to stop foreclosure on my house involving a scam?

We got behind on our mortgage and received mail saying we could apply for a loan modification. This process started last August 2018 and the company had us pulling paperwork, pay stubs, etc, even had us mail cashier checks for $1900 4 different times, the last contact with them was the beginning of March. Our house is in pre closure process now and still waiting to hear about our loan modification. Can you help stop the foreclosure and re coop our monies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Depending upon the remaining amount of your mortgage arrearages (missed payments plus late charges and accrued interest), yes, there are alternative ways to stop, or suspend, the "pre closure process".

I assume you have received a letter notice of intent to foreclose, but you don't specify the date of the letter, or whether you were given thirty days to cure the default. The letter should specify the amount of the default.

Most mortgage lenders have "help" departments, and offer loan modifications to assist homeowners in efforts to save the home, but that seems to work better in theory than in practice. Some lenders are less "forgiving" or willing to work with borrowers than others. The amount of equity in your property is a determining factor.

Chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code was designed to "save the house", and is usually the most effective and advantageous way to do so.

I'd need more facts than you offer to give the best recommendation for how you should proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.