Q: Can a company change an employment contract without agreement, and affect how we used to be paid in the process?

I have been employed for more than 5 years to date by LIBERTY HOLDINGS (PTY) LTD. Then was/still transferred their business to another company called JHI (PTY)|CUSHMAN WAKEFIELD EXCELLERATE (PTY) LTD. The marriage entered to is to manage their properties and employees. In that business transfer process our employment contract was not affected. So the new company assuming business altered how we have been getting paid by LIBERTY as shift workers citing it was a new venture for them, they have never worked with shifts on their payroll. After numerous consultations about a 1 year they fixed shift allowances, but was still not enough as they still not paid us in accordance to our contracts as 6 hours shift workers. As 6 hours workers we work 30 hours per shift than the normal 40 to 45 hours per week. So we continued engaging them since 2015 until now 2019 and they have not fixed it, we have exhausted all required protocols as Human Resource seems reluctant to assist us. Please Advise?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: This seems more like an accounting and bookkeeping question than an employment law question. In any event, if you have an employment agreement you might be able to enforce the agreement; Consult a local lawyer about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.